Tuesday, August 24, 2010

I would be grateful for advice. My MIL comes to our house and focuses uniquely on her son, my partner.?

We have children but she largely ignores them, instead bringing out of her handbag endless photos of her other son's child. She never asks about me. In fact she has accused me (outrageously as I work f/t) of 'sponging off her son'. Her normal behaviour is that she just ignores us. My partner if provoked defends her. Christmas is coming and I don't know what to do about her visit. If anyone can advise I would be so grateful.I would be grateful for advice. My MIL comes to our house and focuses uniquely on her son, my partner.?
Your children will not feel neglected by their grandmother unless you prompt them to. If she always ignores them, that's what they'll expect from her. I assume that they have plenty of people who love them and dote on them, so they'll just know that she isn't one of them. You're the one who's bothered by this. So, don't be.





If you change your expectations, this will not be a problem for you. Accept the fact that she comes only to see your husband. Then, be polite, but don't focus on her. Tell your husband that he gets to entertain her. Bring out the cards and let them play; or seat her in the living room with him while you busy yourself in the kitchen. If she wants to see your husband, let her. And don't be angry. This is who she is. You're not going to change her. Trust me, it could be a lot worse.I would be grateful for advice. My MIL comes to our house and focuses uniquely on her son, my partner.?
Rise above her! Put on your happiest face and suck it up. Its a relatively short visit (unless she's moving in permanently) so let her have her happiness. At the end of the day you should be able to look yourself in the mirror and say that you are a better person than she. You can certainly go out for a walk and scream out your frustrations. Just make it as pleasant a visit as possible and you'll have won!
You partner's mother doesn't HAVE to ask about you. If you are not working and her son is taking care of all the bills then indeed you ARE sponging off her son. If it bothers you that your partner defends her, that is something you are going to have to take up with your partner. She obviously does not like you...she doesn't HAVE to like you.
She sounds like a total B*Tch. Honestly. Dont worry about it. Your children will soon make up their own minds about her and well would want nothing to do with her.





Mothers in laws can be such horrible creatures when they want to. It kind of makes you feel like not letting her into the house.





My mother in law use to walk into the house and make remarks about how badly the house stinks of cat pee. She would critisize every move I made until I told her outright listen I dont need your approval for anything. She never dared again.





Dont let her make your life sour. She has had her life now you need to have yours.
Ignore her too and dote all your attention on your beautiful children. As for Christmas, she should consider herself lucky if you decide to give her a card. Make a big deal over your own children.
  • blackheads
  • lip balm
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment