Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Please help, I need some advice about wanting to be a doctor?

I'm a junior at high school and I want to be a doctor, what should I do now in order to prepare for med school in the future, please some advices from any med students or pre med students or anyone, thanksPlease help, I need some advice about wanting to be a doctor?
MDs need to excel in Biology and Chemistry in particular, but need a pretty heavy dose of all the sciences. Right now your concern needs to be high school. Just keep your grades high as you can and develop a good work/study ethic.Please help, I need some advice about wanting to be a doctor?
It's nice that you're thinking about becoming a doctor at this age. First I think you should make sure that you really want to go to medical school. Not only is the work very challenging, it also takes many years to complete.





First you have to be a pre-med for four years, then take the MCAT's (preferably in your junior year of college, they usually take another year before accepting students anyway; in that way you waste less time) and then four years of med school, and after that, anywhere from two to four more years of residency. The amount of time spent in residency varies depending on the particular type of MD you want to be, I believe being a neurosurgeon would take longer than going for pediatrics for example.





There's also a whole lot of sciences for you to take, so now is the time to see if you really like it enough for you to invest that time and energy.





If that's still what you want to do, then one of the things you could do now is to get yourself acquainted with the sciences, reading up on biology, chemistry, physics, and so on. Try to do your best in your sciences now, that way it'll be easier for you in the future. Don't get me wrong, you also have to take math and english along with other courses (darn core cirriculum), the two aforementioned courses are almost as important as the sciences; they are also in the MCAT's. Also, if you want a real edge, you could get your hands on an MCAT's manual to get a feel of the material.





I would also suggest that when you get into high school, try to take as many science AP courses as you can, that way you would spend less time in undergrad college and get through your career more quickly.





I hope this advice helps you; I myself did pre-med in college and just got my BS last year. I have to say, the three courses that I hated the most was: physics (the whole year's worth) statistics and organic chem (the second half). Good luck ^_^
like go to med school that will help. 7yr.
  • blackheads
  • lip balm
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment