Thursday, August 19, 2010

Cat Experts...NEED advice! How much canned food should I be feeding by cat a day?

On a recent vet visit, I was told my 2 year old Garfield was 3 lbs. overweight. They said he should be 10 lbs. to be healthy. They recommended that I buy Science Diet for overweight cats, but I know better! I will just cut back on portion size. My cats eat EVO, Wellness, and Weruva's Paw Lickin Chicken. He eats about 2 small cans a day plus a snack in between. Thanks! : )Cat Experts...NEED advice! How much canned food should I be feeding by cat a day?
Two small cans a day is actually a LOT of food for a cat. I know if you go by the cans it says you should feed even MORE than that but that's not true at all - they just want you to buy more of it.





Science Diet is GARBAGE and I would RUN from any vet recommending it! You're feeding VERY healthy food to your cat just cut back a bit.





I have four cats and twice a day they split one of those little cans four ways. They also eat a small handful of dry food (Evo, Blue Buffalo Wilderness, Royal Canin Persian 30, Petcurean) each. If ALL you're feeding your cat is canned then one of the small cans per day would be plenty. I show three of my cats and judges always comment on how they're all the perfect weight. And none of them are ever whining for more food.





You know, though, you may have cursed him by naming him Garfield. You can't exactly expect a cat to not overeat with that name now, can you? ;)





edit: ';a lot of people despise canned food'; - yes, this is true - because a lot of people are CLUELESS about cat nutrition http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?ac鈥?/a>Cat Experts...NEED advice! How much canned food should I be feeding by cat a day?
You should go for a low-calorie, low carb food.


By two small cans, are the cans 3 oz or 5.5 oz?





Cats need about 20-30 calories per pound to maintain body weight. I would go with the lower end of that.





Try to keep the amount he consumes to around 160-200 calories a day. One 5.5 oz can of wellness is enough- half in the morning and half at night.





www.catinfo.org has a great page on feline obesity.





And as for someone despising canned food.. Hm. Lets think, shall we?


-canned food contains all the water a cat needs. Cats on kibble who drink only get half the water they need. prevents a lot of problems.


-canned doesn't have all the nutrients burned out of it


-canned food generally has less grains and carbs and is higher in protein, and doesn't promote obesity


-dry food is generally minimal in protein and high in carbs to ensure your cat is made of fat
Two small cans of the Evo or Wellness is 6 ounces and that should be sufficient for your cat. It should take six, nine months or even a year to get the excess weight off. There is no need to rush it.





That means cutting out the ';snack';. He should be satisfied and well nourished on the quality meat you are using.
None. Our three boys (3, 5, 8 years old) get Purina Indoor dry food (green bag) only - unlimited amount, in a separate bowl there is water.





Our previous cat, Thomas lived to be 23 years old on the same diet.





Male cats have varying ideal weights; Beau is about 19lbs, Bubba about 18lbs and Midnight is about 12 lbs. All close to ideal for their build.
i feed my cats 2 small cans a day with an addition of a cup of dried food. each cat gets there own portion and there all thin. they are very very active though!








i'd say 1 can for adults, 2 cans for kittens.
I guess like us, 1st thing to do is cut out the snack. and your right portion size. can you buy her a gym, climbing post to get some exercise on?
Each brand may be different. It should say on the can or call the companies and talk to customer service.
I DON'T THINK THAT 13 IS OVER WEIGHT....FOR A MALE CAT.... I DON'T THINK SO ANYWAYS
Well for my cat I don't like to feed them canned food. Actually, a lot of people I know despise canned cat food. I would switch to dried cat food, feed him on a regular schedule and try playing with him a lot. If you don't want to spend a lot of money; straws, string, wrappers, plastic bags, sticks, anything like that can be used. And when you play with him he gets a lot of exercise, so he'll lose some weight. ;D

No comments:

Post a Comment